Mongolian blue spot

I have a purple map of Australia on my butt, after falling and “surfing” downstairs in my house the other morning, the first time I’d done so since just after we moved in 3 years ago. It has to do with foot size and Japanese stairs. But the location of the bruise made me wonder: If we (American guy of Danish/Irish descent and pure Japanese wife) had a baby, what are the chances it would have the so-called “Mongolian blue spot” that many Asian babies (I don’t know the distribution of this phenomenon) are born with? Anyone know?
Google it if this is the first you’ve heard if “Mongolian blue spot.”

You may also like...

164 Responses

1. TG says:

I have to clarify that Siberia is originally the land of Mongols, even though now it controlled by Russia and a large part of the population there is Russians.

2. danielmhd says:

Just to add to the debate, a close friend is Guatemalan, with a mix of aboriginal and Spanish ancestry… Everyone in his family has the spot.

/d

3. Marcy says:

Both my children had the spot on their backs. It gradually dissapeared. I had forgotten about it with both children, and then one day noticed it wasn’t there any more.

For my first born during the first visits to the pedi doctor I asked what it was. He said not to worry, that it would fade away. I later found out that Sepharadic Jews have it in great numbers. This would mean Jews of Europe, Africa, north, central and south America. It also means folks whose ancestors were once Jewish..given the inquisition and mass conversion to christianity. So, for my children it came from our portugese Jewish ancestry. The doctor was an ashkenazi Jew, but had seen the mark many times over the years.

Since then I have come across others, usually hispanic, talking about the mark and wondering why their children had had it. My guess is that, since the sepharadic Jews ended up all over the world, so too the spot. I wouldn’t say that only Sepharadic Jews had it. But, apparently they shared a gene pool with many folks who did.

Marcy

4. Michelle says:

Hi

I have been reading up on Mongolian Blue spots, as i still have one. I am 24, white, have 2 white parents and grandparents. Its 8.5 inches, looks like the map of florida and chages colour from time to time.

most of the info i have read mentions the birthmark dissapperas by the time you are 6 and you have eastern decent. I have neither of these and really wonder why i have, and still have a mogolian blue spot. What reason would i have to have this?

Kind Regards

A curious

Michelle

5. Kim says:

I’m full Korean and every Korean I know have the blue spot when they’re young. The mongolian mark is so ingrained in our folklore that there are old wives tales that the baby is being slapped so it would come out of the womb. My son who is 100% Korean has a large deep blue spot and so did all my nieces and nephews who are 100% Korean, one of my nephews on the other hand is half Korean and has a lighter and smaller birthmark. In addition, my girlfriend who is 1/4 Korean and her son who is 1/8 Korean has a very light mark which is almost all gone and he is only 2. Her cousin’s daughter who is also 1/8 Korean and has blue eyes and blond hair however did not have the mark.

In college I asked my Chinese friends (mostly Cantonese and one Hakka) about the blue mark and they looked at me like I was crazy. My Japanese friend heard of it and said it happened in Japanese children but it wasn’t by 100% it just wasn’t uncommon. My babysitter who is from the Philippines was baffled when she saw my son’s butt. I had to explain that it’s a birthmark and not a bruise. She was here with her friend (who is also Pilipino) and they said they never heard of it.

BTW I disagree with the post that states that it is commonly known that Koreans are a mix of Mongolian and Chinese. The Koreans came from central Asia to present day Manchuria and Korean peninsula around 3000 BC and though I’m not saying that Koreans have never intermarried in the past (I’m pretty sure they have) it’s a different thing to say that they are composed of Mongolian and Chinese people. If you read about Korean history, Koreans were known to keep to themselves and not intermarrying– so much so it led to their downfall during the Kourgyo Kingdom. Also Koreans have very distinct features (closer to Mongolians) than Chinese.

6. TG says:

to Michelle,

I think your spot is not exactly the kind that is commonly known as the Mongolian spot. But from that it is harmless, it might belong to a generalized notion of Mongolian spot in medical terms.

TG

7. vk in ohio says:

I was born a pre mature baby back in May 1972, I was 2 1/2 months early. I was born not with the mongolian blue mark but with strawberry birth marks on the bottom of my feet. I read that only native american babies and chinese babies are born with these birth marks. I also read that pre mature babies are born with these birth marks as well. I was told that on my mom’s side there’s american Indian (way back)on my maternal great-great grandmother’s side. On my father’s side is Hungarian (on his maternal mother’s side). I’ve heard American Indians as well as Hungarians have an asiatic gene is this true, and could this be the reason why I had the strawberry birth marks on my feet when I was born? They fell off after awhile, and I don’t have the birth marks. Thanks, I appreciate the help and information. vk in Ohio

8. TG says:

to vk in Ohio,

It is true that American Indians and Hungarians have genetic connections with Asians. American Indians migrated 10-20 thousands years ago from Central Asia, and a long time ago Hungarians were living somewhere in Sibiria. However, I think that your birthmark does not have something to do with the blue spots.

TG

9. Emma says:

Both me and my sister had one of these blue spots when we were born, but my mum and dad are both English and so is everyone else in our family, can anyone explain this? When they took us to the doctors he said he reckons its because we have mediterranean blood in us and that it could have skipped a few generations, could that be true?

10. resa says:

wow! you have a lot of comments here. i was googling to find info on the blue eyed mongolian tribes, and happened upon this. my husband is from india, and i am american of mixed european ancestry. both kids have mongolian spots, even the one who has light brown/blond hair (despite me having dark brown hair, though my sister had similar hair as a child, even though our parents were dark brown and red hair).

genes mix up in funny ways, don’t they? my half japanese friend (black hair and brown eyes), has kids with a blond haired blue eyed man (polish and other n. euro. ancestry). one is blond haired with green eyes, the other reddish brown/blond hair and hazel eyes. you’d have a tough time recognizing them as 1/4 japanese! not sure if they had the mongolian spots.

11. shinee says:

I’m original Mongolian man.When i was born i have blue spot on my back my childrens and my wife everyone of who is original Mongolians it has.It’s true but after sometimes it disappered it self.So i’m very proud of this great generatic who doesn’t have mostly(not Mongolian),except Mongolians.

12. BasilRiverdale says:

I was discussing the Mongolian blue spot in context with the fall of the Roman Empire when one of my students exclaimed that her family carries the trait. I found this astounding given that the genetic marker has made its way to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The doctors couldn’t explain it, so it was assumed by the family to be some sort of birth defect. I carefully traced the link. In the Salvidrez family the lineage stretches back to Mexico and then to Spain. From there to the Visigoth kingdom that took root briefly in Iberia. From there we reach back to Gaul where the Gothic-Roman army finally put an end to Attila’s mischief in the latter half of the 5th Century. And then all the way back eventually to Mongolia. I was floored.

13. amanda says:

Could someone please settle a problem for me a friend is convinced that he is not the biological father to his child as she has a mongolian blue spot on her buttocks and neither him or his ex partner have any decents from any of the ethnic backgrounds which mongolian blue spot are commonly found.
    Thanks

14. Veronica says:

My Children have it. I use to. We are hispanic indians from mexico and my grandmothers are from spain.

15. melissa says:

hi, i have a 7 month old boy he has blue spots. we had to take him to hospital at one stage because we thought they we brouses but we couldn’t think were they could have come from. now i am torn between who is the father. out of three men, one is Indian, one is, greek and one turkish. witch one is more lickly to be the father?

16. kerry hawkins says:

There are Mongolian blue spots in my mothers family.my uncle was born with it and so was his daughter,my 1st cousin.my cousins two children were also born with the Mongolian blue spot.this is what i know of in my family and no doubt there were others that were born with it but there parents thought it was bruising from the birth.nowadays blue spots are recorded to prevent any future allegations of child abuse as it could take some years for the marks to dissapear. My grand mother was very dark and so was her brother Abe,who was born in a tent in Kent,southern England,in 1915.their mother was born into a Romany Gypsy family with the clan surname of Ayres.the family had a long history of being decended from leaders and heads of their large extended families. The southern English Gypsy families of Ayres,Cooper,Lee,Stanley and Smith are of purer Romany bloodlines and many other travelling families claim some blood relationships to them.When my cousin was born the doctors asked my aunt how the Mongolian blue spot got into the family and that it was a true Jews spot.Gypsies have been called the lost tribe of Abraham,but recent evidence has suggested that a tribe of people living in Africa who are black skinned contain Jewish DNA and claim Jewish decent which matches the bibles account of a lost tribe. The only possibility of the Mongolian spot in our family is from our great Grandmothers Romany blood.i have heard of a few other half blooded Gypsy babies born with the blue spot in my imediate area also a half Turkish lad and a half Hungarian lad.Our sons are dark and swarthy skinned but didnt have the blue spot,our eldest daughter was called a Eskimo baby by the midwifes because of her mop of jet black hair and round face with oriental eyes.Blue spots are folklored as being the Mongolian sign of royalty and the Chinese legend asossiates the marks with reincarnation. Romany Gypsies originated from north west India and left this region about 1000 years ago,long before the Mughal rulres conquered the land.the Romanies travelled through Persia and into the Byzantine empire.a long stay in now modern day Greece and a place known at the time of the Crusades as Little Egypt,a large tented city around the outskirts of Modon,and a memory of another long abode travelling in the Levant and a area now in modern day Turkey,also named Little Egypt by the common people in the Middle ages,because of the great fertility of the land,possibly Little Armenia.The Little Egyptians,Egyptians,Gyptians,Gypsies,converted to Christianity before being forced to leave by the invading Turks up into the Balkans and spreading into the rest of Europe.Gypsy migration split three ways,one tribe went into Europe another into Africa along the northern territories and into Spain spreading the fortune telling and exotic belly dances they developed in the east.another tribe of Romanies went up into Russia.there have been more than one Gypsy migration from their land known as Little Egypt. The Mongolian invading armies of Genghis Khan may have came into contact with the Gypsies,who also lived in tents and traded in horses.marriages mixed along the Romany migration could also be with the Hun decendants who settled by the Danube in Hungary in large numbers.the Huns are from the Asian steppes as are the Mongols,Tartars and Turks,i suspect that the Romany Gypsy nomads also decended from this region originally before they travelled through the Hindu Kush into the Indus valley.it has been proved that north American Indians crossed over the Bering strait from Mongolian Asia when the continents were joined by ice. Attila the Huns invasion of the Roman empire in the 5th century took them deep into europe.there is a region in France that has a very high percentage of babies born with the Mongolian blue spots and history suggests that a section of Attilas Hun army settled in this area.The Germans were called the Hun because of their close alliances with the Steppe invaders. Alexander the great conquered deep into the Hindu Kush and he and his soldiers took wifes from the tribes they came across which could also explain the blue spot being present in Mediterranean babies.DNA samples in an area of Wales seemed to match that of an area where the Phoenician people came from who were widely travelled sea traders and famed pirates who may have had a fleet shipwrecked upon the Welsh shores.The Vikings were also sea traders who sailed to the East bringing back with them Mediterranean and Asian slaves and ancient knowledge.the Vikings settled large colonies of Ireland.The first records of Romany Gypsies,Egyptians,in Great Britain was in Scotland in 1505.the Gypsies held great favour with the Scotish king before being banished from the realm.the Spanish and French authorities were deporting Gypsies upon arrival during the 15th and 16th centuries and many came to the Britosh Isles,and possibly Ireland,with ships captains who offloaded their cargo of passengers upon these shores after having received payment from their crown.later generations of gypsies were deported from Europe to the Americas and Australia,the West Indies and the Caroliners were favorate places the state transported their Gypsy men women and children sometimes entire families split up. The Mongolian blue spot is obviously a strong genetic fingerprint that is spread far and wide but its origins are certainly Oriental from the Mongolian steppes of Asia and are passed through genes into families sometimes even missing generations so when a throwback child is born with dark skin and black hair the spot appears.Alot of Gypsy children are born dark then turn fair headed then as they get older turn darker again.Romany Gypsies or traveller families with Romany blood speak with affection and remember those that were and are born of the dark blood.it is a proud thing to be dark and of swarthy Romany looks.Many Gypsy families have hidden their past and due to persecution have chose to intergrate with the settled community.some people may not know they have Romany blood as with the native American Indians the late 19th and 20th centuries held enormous changes to centuries of habit and lifestyle and to those Gypsy families who still hang proudly onto their heritage it is one of the last ethnic social prejudices to be suffered into the 21st century. All interesting stuff! KUSHTI BOK

17. Plastic window says:

I’ve just read the whole thing dating back a few years! Absolutely fascinating. My son was born with a mongolian blue spot. It’s so interesting to read how the invasions and movements around the world will have left this genetic heritage. I was adopted and, although I am British I am very dark and Mediterranean looking. I have met my genetic father who is where these looks come from but he never knew who his father was. Does anyone know where one can get tests to establish likelihood of genetic heritage as I would be interested in having the test. Several members of our family are often asked where we are from and I would love to be able to answer!

18. Jean says:

Wow, so much history on this blog. I had googled mongolian blue spot to learn about the scientific facts about it, since it is of high incidence in african americans. All of the comments makes sense, but yet it makes no sense that any culture would wander into a land mass and not find someone already living there. I laugh everytime I hear the Bering Strait theory, except that these Asians crossing over met with the natives already in incidence there at the time. My background is African American, Choctaw, Cherokee, Cree, German Jewish. I have 5 sisters we all had the mongolian beauty mark I guess via the African, Native American and Jewish genetics. Most likely this will pass down for generations to come. My daughter who bears at least half of the above genes also carries the genes of her Austrian-Jewish dad. Her daughter has the Mongolian mark in the cleft of her little butt cheeks and on both upper arms, just below her shoulders. My granddaughter’s dad, is African American, Blackfoot and Scottish. This will assure that the Mongolian blue spot from our Asian ancestors will be going around for a long, long time…

19. Funny says:

a lot of East Africans are Chinese descendants. It is all becuase of the voyages of made by “Zheng He”.

20. Wendy says:

you all need to google the title mongolian blue spot and check out some of the encyclopidia answers. They will go into detail on what % of what culture could possibly have the spot… Stop guessing and just google… it is so much easier than reading all this ….. stuff

21. Tenzin says:

hahahaa! What a cute way of showing your roots! I am Tibetan and all four kids in my family were born with the blue dot on the ass. Mine faded when I was younger but the other 3 still have theirs smack dab in the middle of their booties. LMAO! My father’s side comes from Western Tibet and his side of the family has always laid claim to being direct descendants of Genghis Khan.

22. Cheqora Sarai says:

My daughter was born with mongolian blue spots. I think this so fasinating. It’s just so awesome how our genes work. My mother is mixed with who knows what. She has long blonde curly hair and gorgeous big green eyes. My father is black and native american(hopi). I take after my father but my daughters father is also black and native american. Now I’m wondering what else we might be mixed with? even though I know why she has them.

Cheq.

23. Tira says:

Hmm…I’m 100% Chinese and i had a huge Mongolian spot when I was born, but since then it has faded away completely except for one small patch. So now, i still have part of a Mongolian spot. Yes, i agree, Mongolian spots are most often found on Asians, but they can be found on others from different cultures. i looked up on Google that 95% chance that Asians (esp. those from East Asia) will have a Mongolian spot and around 5% that Caucasians get it. I have two brothers. one of them has one and it has faded away almost completely and the other one has no spot at all! so i guess it’s just chance that you get the spot.
    In my family, we have this little story about the spots. we say that they exist because just before we were born, the Buddha kicked us (on the butt) down from a cloud in heaven so that’s why we have the Mongolian spot – it’s a bit like a sacred bruise from the Buddha. i often tease my brother who doesn’t have the spot, that he was dumb enough to fall off the cloud instead of getting kicked! LOL!

24. Mongol101 says:

Thanks sis and we ain’t 100% Chinese ya know.

25. Mongolian Diva says:

I’m 29 years old and I still have both of my blue spots one on each arm. The one on the right arm is much larger than the one on the left. My mom says that when I was born they told her that I was a Mongolian and that the nurses thought I was an Asian baby!! I never really thought much of it myself. I had many people asked if it was a bruise when I was younger. I am considered African American mind you l.o.l. As a child growing up many people asked me if I were Chinese or Pilipino; even my husband when we first met. I begin to do research and found a lot of information concerning the blue spot. I have also learned that the shape of the skull can also differentiate Mongolians from other nationalities. I do have Caucasian, Indian, African American, and other blood obviously. It is a journey and an adventure to learn more about my birth mark ï�Š

26. Elliott says:

Does anyone know of any clinic in the world where these can be removed? i have a large spot across my back and chest and in my mid 20′s. I am willing to go anywhere to remove it

27. sooconnopside says:

What is bumburbia?

28. Peter says:

I was born in Trinidad and my grandfather came from China and I have been able to witness each of my children being born with the Mongolian blue spot. After doing some research myself, I have come to find out that the blood line goes back to the Mongolian Hun tribe. Small world. After reading some of the comments on this site, it was quite fascinating. Just seeing how far and how much different races got mixed in with this blood line. It’s all good.

29. Shelley K. says:

I have a small one just above my coccyx. Mine never faded. I am Spanish, Mexican, Sicilian, Albanian, English. Scots, Irish, French and German. I look pretty white, but can tan like anything. Who knows where the Hun blood came from. I should send my DNA to that lab that traces mitochondrial DNA.

30. syg says:

I am 40 and 100% chinese (as far as I know) though I have often been asked if I am mixed as I have european eyes (with eyelid) but otherwise chinese features. I was reminded recently I was born with the blue spot – one on my shoulder and one on my bottom. I checked and they are still there.! The reason I checked is a friend’s boy has the blue spot but both parents are fair skinned europeans – though she does look like she has mediterranean or middle eastern influence – and we had this conversation yesterday. This website has so much information I couldn’t resist adding my comment.

It seems to be quite rare to still have the spots when you reach adulthood.

I didn’t realise it is so widespread. i am going to check with my parents and all my siblings and neices/ nephews. I had never thought to ask them about this before not really having realised there was a genetic significance!

My husband is causasian english (though he says he might have spanish in the distant past) and I wonder what our kids will be like and if they have the blue mark.

31. adriana says:

I have a two week baby girl with the mongolian blue spot on her left ancle …. her father and I are from Mexico… and I am wondering if anyone had the spot on the leg and faded away, and how long it took???

Thanks :D

32. rachel says:

We are both Irish caucasian and our baby has a mongolian bluespot which the doctors were intrigued by – we think its very exciting to see evidence of our ancestors make an appearance in our boy!

33. Mongolian says:

100 percentage of Mongolian kids have blue spot. For other nations, it is between 99 to 0 percent, depending on whether they mixed into Mongolians’ ancestors within last 15 thousand years, probably. Some surprise how can eastern europeans have such thing. Someone, who is able browse history resources, can easily know that Mongolians made 2 major migration to Europe within last 2 thousand years. Mongolian culture and language might have disappeared in one generation, but some gene stays there.

34. MONGOLIAN GIRL says:

TRY THIS : http://www.mpfwp.org/introduction.php

mongolian blue spot = mongolyn khokh tolbo (монголын Ñ…Ó©Ñ… толбо – in mongolian language)

Three generations of continual warfare in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries conducted by the family of Temujin, the Mongol man who was given the title Genghis Khan, yielded a people connected globally by a shared physical trait, the appearance of blue spots on their buttocks during babyhood.

A 2003 report in the American Journal of Human Genetics, entitled “The Genetic Legacy of the Mongols,� begins, “We have identified a Y-chromosomal lineage with several unusual features. It was found in sixteen populations throughout a large region of Asia, stretching from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea, and was present at high frequency: 8 percent of the men in this region carry it, and it thus makes up 0.5 percent of the world total. The pattern of variation within the lineage suggested that it originated in Mongolia—a thousand years ago. Such a rapid spread cannot have occurred by chance; it must have been a result of selection. The lineage is carried by likely male-line descendants of Genghis Khan, and we therefore propose that it has spread by a novel form of social selection resulting from their behavior.�

Non-religious scholars have a hard time explaining what motivated a man raised as a herder and hunter to expend so much effort conquering so much territory. Professor Morris Rossabi, a professor of Central Asian History at Columbia University, writes, “Thus, the rise of Chinggis Khan [There are various ways of rendering Mongol names and words into English script. Professor Rossabi is using the form most common in Mongolia, home of Chinggis Khan International Airport.] and the creation of a great Mongol confederation were aberrations. An ecological crisis, commercial conflicts with neighbors, and a reported belief or injunction from the Sky God to Chinggis to dominate the world probably prompted the Mongols’ explosion from Mongolia early in the thirteenth century.�

Father Moon’s straightforward explanation seems to be in line with the genetic report. As the Mongolian Empire spread, so did the lineage of Cain and Shem, the first son of Adam and the first son of Noah. He called the Mongolian Peoples’ Federation for World Peace—representative of those lineages—“a movement to comfort God’s heart of pain over Adam’s family.â€�

35. Nancy says:

I have a blue birthmark on my upper left arm. It hurts when I get sick or start to get sick…kind of like an early warning system. Anyone else’s birthmark do that. Oh, it get hot too when I get sick. I’ve had it since birth and I am 53. Two of my 4 children have various birthmarks as do their children….
    My grandma always used to say, “Don’t shake the family tree too hard, you never know what may fall out!” I don’t understand that, but I always thought she meant that we were many nationalities and races…besides that, she had a brother who was a horse thief :)

36. leo says:

This is truly a reMARKable saga of the ‘bruise’ since Nils’ ‘surfing’ incident. =) I AM grateful to learn from the intellectual thoughts revealed here and thankful for some laughs as well.
    (I still have my butt-mark after more than 3 decades since being a premature baby, Asian decent, and has a mind open to spirituality)
    A curious link, relating to reincarnation and birthmarks:

37. Chinese man says:

I am 100% Chinese. All my relatives and cousins have the blue mark. It’s a Chinese folklore that the Goddess of birth slapped the babies butt to push the baby out of the womb. All the Chinese i know so far has the blue mark when they were born. I believe it should be called Mongoloid blue spot, instead of Mongolian Blue Spot because clearly we don’t have Mongol blood.

38. jane says:

the spots come from mongolian ancestors, alaska, native americans

39. Monica D. says:

I have been mesmerized by all this information, thank you everyone for being so generous. I was born with a blue spot, but it was almost Indigo blue on my left arm. It faded by the time I was 5, and I’m now 44; however, there is a slight greyish tinge where it used to be. I find it comforting because I know it represents my entire family’s genetic journey. I am Mexican American, but it was recently revealed that my maternal great- great- grandmother was French and German. She married my great-great grandfather during the Mexican- French war, so because she was an “enemy” no one was allowed to talk about her. But before my grandfather’s memories were lost to Alzheimers he revealed to us that his grandmother was French, and we always figured as such since several family members have blue eyes. He never mentioned the German part, and I found that out by accident, her surname was Weis, so you can’t get any more German than that, and well, that’s probably where the blue eyes come from. Anyhow, my father’s family is Spanish American, and they settled in Santa Fe, New Mexico, 400 years ago. They eventually migrated further north and stayed in So. Colorado’s, San Luis Valley. As conquistadores, they came to this country with only men so they married with the Native American women. I’m guessing that is where I get my blueness. Not a bad journey, and what a great story in my little blue grey spot.

40. cherie says:

I have a 17 year old daughter, she was born with the BLUESPOT on her bum, my husband and i are both white welsh and so are our familys. She is very dark skinned with very dark brown eyes. everyone asks her is she of mixed race. it amazes us /were did the spot come from? . she is the double of her dad but WHY is she so dark?

41. musings says:

The old Cossack theory for how one got the genes may not be valid, but it seems to be something necessary to reinforce group identity. I’ve heard it a lot. Well, here’s another theory: intermarriage in the past, or even conversion. How many ancestors do you have from 300 years ago? More than a thousand. It doesn’t take long to have a lot of people doing a lot of things, not just being victimized. I say this because my son had the Mongolian blue spot. And even though I have one more commonly Asian trait (type B blood) from a traceable source, a Prussian grandmother, my siblings (there were seven, and I diapered some of them) never had the blue spot. I first saw it in an emergency room when a Mexican mother changing her child’s diaper explained it to my mother and we both marveled at it. Then I married a Hungarian Jew. I am sure that he had at least some Magyar ancestry (not only Jewish), because everyone in his family looks like Hungarians rather than Russian Jews who are so prevalent in the US. They have very smooth skin, not much hair on their arms and legs, and a kind of tendency to a yellowish cast to the skin, which tans well. None of them has been able to grow a really thick beard to my knowledge. It turns out that Hungarian is a nationality whose Asian heritage is one of the most dominant in Europe, and they really do show a lot of inheritance from the horsemen who invaded them when the place was no longer a colony of the Roman Empire. Those horsemen stayed. They weren’t just out to pillage. And that’s why my son has his blue spot – from them, and not just Cossacks victimizing people. Or that is how I prefer to see it. Sometimes it’s possible to adopt another mythology – none of us knows the whole truth. In Hungary, I guess they think the horsemen were greeted as liberators. Well, if that suits them, it does me.

42. Joanne Kang says:

I JUST found out about this recently and had no idea. My dad suddenly decided to give me a little history of Korea. So, Koreans are descendants of Mongolians. But, they’re not the ONLY descendants. The mongolians originated somewhere in Asia, and a group of them migrated south, another group of them migrated east, and another group migrated across the bering strait when it used to be connected by ice during the Ice Age. That group that migrated across the ice bridge migrated all the way down to South America, which explains the mongolian blue spot on Native Indians in the Americas. Not all of them have this any more today because of their decreased population due to the conquistadors, their inter”breeding” and wiping out almost all of the native indian population with disease.
    Of the Asians, Koreans for sure have the mongolian blue spot, and Tibetans. MOST japanese and Chinese people don’t have this blue spot. I’m not sure about other ethnicities.

43. Becky Tustin class of '75 says:

My daughter’s “blue spot” is still faintly discernable at age 14!!! Her father is half Japanese, I’m mostly Irish. Even with that watered down ancestry she still has the spot.

44. Anna says:

I am 21, and when I was very young I developed that blue spot, then went when I was two yrs old. My father is English and mother welsh, it was found to be a blue spot when found not to be a bruise my mother was also asked if my father was black or mixed, they’re both White, it was on my lower back also before I was born an ultrasound, scan told my mother I was a male, and boy did I give everyone a shock, coming out a female! I would love to know more about this and where another piece of me lies in the world.

45. Tulpar says:

I am 23 and I am Turkish. I had same blue spot. My mom told me that, me and my sister were born with a blue spot. We say that it is normal for Turkic babies.

46. Donna Rahman says:

My husband is from Bangladesh (a part of India until 1947) and I am mostly Scots-Irish. Both my daughters were born with the mongolian blue spot in the tail bone area. My older daughter had a blue spot the size of a pear, and my younger daughter had a blue spot the size of a plum. In time, both spots faded.

47. Julia says:

As far as i know, I am 100% white British. My parents and grandparents also white British. My husband and his side of the family (parents and grandparents) – all white. No Asian links anywhere in our history. Our baby was born with a large brown birthmark on her cheek – and what i now know is a small Mongolian Blue Spot birthmark on her buttock – about the size of my thumbnail and irregular in shape. (i thought somehow she’d got a bruise – but it’s still there a year later!) I’ve heard of genetic throwbacks, so who knows if there were any mixed race children born way back in our family histories!

48. Erin says:

I am american with a little bit of irish, german and italian in me and my babys father is 100% mexican. my son is four months and about a month ago I noticed a bluish gray mark right above his butt. Does he have the mongolian blue spot?

49. Victoria says:

Hi all,
    Well… Mongolian spot appearance is irregular.
    If you are wondering why seemingly all white parentage produces a blue spot, check your ancestry. If you parents or grand parents came from Eastern Europe you have a good chance to have a blue spot.
    Why? Well almost all Eastern Europe was under Orda (Mongolian empire) for 150 years .And the mix of Mongolians and locals were advisable (by Mongolian politics of that time).
    I am “Russian” Mongolian and Japanese mix. My baby father is Jewish.
    Well… my baby DOES NOT have any blue spots. When she was born I was looking for it everywhere :))) (I had it until age 6).
    Nope….. not even a shadow.
    Genetics are very interesting subject and I will not be surprised when my grandchildren will have it.